Read Quotes #1 and Quotes #2 to understand why I’m writing a list of 5 quotes once every week.
- My biggest issue with social media is less that it’s distracting (IMO not necessarily an unhealthy thing) but that it has, for me, more than anything else seemed to make all aspects of my life a competition with others.
On Instagram, you’re competing with others on who has the happiest life. On LinkedIn, you’re competing with others on who has the steepest career trajectory. Even on Twitter, perhaps more acutely in certain jobs or industries, it seems like you’re competing with other in gaining professional influence. It creates a lot of anxiety that stems from a feeling like you’re constantly on the verge of falling behind others. Plenty of scholars/thinkers/philosophers have said something to the effect of focusing on just being a better version of you. Social media enables the exact opposite i.e. forcing you to constantly evaluate how you compare to others. - tempsy | I Quit Social Media for a Year
- In this World, you get what you ask for; you just have to ask correctly. - Never Split the Difference: Negotiating As If Your Life Depended On It
- You must accept the reality of other people. You think that reality is up for negotiation, that we think it’s whatever you say it is. You must accept that we are as real as you are; you must accept that you are not God. - J. K. Rowling
- Judge your success in life by how well you make your decisions, not by your outcome. You have full control of your decisions, and often no control at all over their results. - LyndsySimon
- The moment you accept responsibility for EVERYTHING in your life is the moment you gain the power to change ANYTHING in your life. - Hal Elrod