I started alternating between standing and sitting around half a year ago. I started first because I wanted to see how it affects my productivity and also as a health benefit. There are enough posts about
- damages the heart
- may harm your brain
- increases risk of death
- gain weight
First I tried using a standing desk as long as I could because I thought the longer I stand the better, but after more research alternating between sitting and standing is now the way to go for me.
For me what works right now is to alternate between sitting and standing every 2-3h when at a desk. It’s even so important to me that I’ve put it on my Dos List. Benefits and tips I personally experienced:
- Fatigue decreased a lot compared to sitting only
- Using an Anti-Fatigue Mat helps a lot while standing
- Using an Adjustable Standing Desk saves time and space
- Focus Time while standing is much higher compared to the time while sitting
- Being more aware of my standing posture
- Better sleep
A good easy start is also to just take breaks after a specific time to stand up and go for a walk or get a glass of water.